This course offers Public Health capacity building for health professionals. It provides a basic introduction to key aspects and roles of public health.
The course is designed to help you:
- Understand the broad concepts and issues in public health.
- Understand the health systems of countries of interest to you.
There are seven (7) modules to complete, which include:
Module 1: Definitions and Roles of Public Health
Module 2: Epidemiology
Module 3: Health Systems
Module 4: An Evidence Base for Public Health
Module 5: Health Inequalities
Module 6: Health Promotion
Module 7: Workforce Needs in Public Health
Approximate time for completion of this course is 7 hours at an average reading rate of 144 words/minute.
Engaging with this course
- To register for this course, complete the registration form. Begin the course with Module 1. For each lesson, read the description.
- Each lesson comprises introductory remarks. You can click on the collections of resources in each section.
- There is a forum on each lesson for reflection, and you will be able to add a new topic or respond to a previous one. You may want to share your learning from this and other readings, comment on the topics from your own experience, comment on others' posts, or provide feedback on how we can improve the content and/or presentation.
- There is a final quiz to assess your understanding of some important concepts. Click on the hyperlinks to take you to these items in each topic.
Requirements to obtain the certificate
You may browse this course for free to learn for your personal enrichment. There are no requirements.
To obtain a certificate, a learner must successfully complete:
- All reading requirements
- All discussion forums
- The final exam with a minimum of 70% and a maximum of 3 attempts and
- The self and course evaluation forms
This course has been included in the list of activities available for continuing education for Certified Public Health Professionals by the National Board of Public Health Examiners.
Subscribe to our newsletter to be notified of future updates, new courses, and to be part of our community.
After completing this Module, you should be able to identify and understand the definition and roles of Public Health which are relevant to your own setting.1 Page, 1 Forum
After completing this Module, you should be aware that Epidemiology is the study of disease in groups, hence is the key scientific underpinning of Public Health.1 Page, 1 Forum
After completing this Module, you should understand the way that various countries establish systems to protect and promote the health of the public.1 Page, 1 Forum
After completing this Module, you should understand the importance of creating and applying an evidence base to finding solutions to the health problems facing populations.1 Page, 1 Forum
After completing this Module, you should understand the role of social factors in the development of ill health, how these lead to health inequality, and the major approaches to reducing inequality.1 Page, 1 Forum, 1 URL
After completing this Module, you should understand the role of Health Promotion in Public Health and the theoretical basis behind the discipline.1 Page, 1 Forum
After completing this Module, you should be able to understand the issues of workforce needs in Public Health in your setting and the potential for e-learning to help build capacity.1 Page, 1 Forum
In this section, you can take a quiz that covers some of the issues raised in the resources above.
You can earn a Certificate of Completion if you have taken the quiz and viewed the resources in each of the Modules above.